Friday, March 28, 2008

Now I know my ABCs

I placed an order for pick up at a local seafood placed called Land 'N' Sea. It was around 5:45 on a Friday afternoon, so naturally, the place was "a**hole to bellybutton" (as my father likes to say). II know it's going to be busy, so that's why I call ahead. The first couple of times I call, the line is busy. When it finally starts ringing, it takes a good 8 rings before someone picks up. I place my order, repeat myself a couple of times because it's ridiculously busy there and I'm talking on a cell phone headset (and we all know how reliable those are!) When she asks for my name, I say Kim. She repeats, Tim?

I'm used to this. I have a brother named Tim. Actually, his name is Timmy, and my name is Kimberly. Family wise, this is how we were always called. That is, until I started school, and people started calling me Kimmy. From then on, whenever friends would call for one of us, half the time the wrong person would get the phone. If it was a boy calling, my mother naturally assumed that it was for Timmy. Not always the case. Usually it would be Timmy realizing that he didn't know the kid on the other end and get me.

So for some reason, when the Land N Sea girl repeats Tim, I say, "Kim, K as in Kat."

I'm smart.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are awesome. Maybe you were thinking of Kit Kat.

My code word for today is qmulue

March 29, 2008 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger Ronnica said...

That's just funny. My name is mispronounced all the time, and one time a supervisor at work asked me how to pronounce it. I said, "Ro-NEEK-a" rather than "RON-nick-a" like it's supposed to be. He pronounced it wrong (or as he thought, right) until someone else corrected him (I'm a weenie about such things). He was mega confused.

April 2, 2008 at 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home